Monday, August 20, 2012

San Francisco

Scott McKenzie has died.

I've always had a bit of a love affair with San Francisco the song, though I didn't really get a chance to fall in love with San Francisco the city. This is entirely due to my father, who liked to tell a story about how he annoyed the hell out of folks when he was Germany. His stint there in the Army was almost up, and he'd play that song on the jukebox every night he could, just to be an asshole.

I suspect that he really was wishing for home, though, and home at that time was indeed San Francisco. Every now and again the subject comes up, and he tells me again that believe it or not, there really was a time when somebody would actually *want* to go to San Francisco. I've decided to take that on faith. And every so often, I put on the song and smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment